About this Show

The War Room With Jennifer Granholm

News/Business. (2012) (CC) (Stereo)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING
PG

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 107 (CURNT)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
528

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Fema 38, Us 17, Romney 14, Michael Brown 10, Obama 10, George W. Bush 8, Katrina 7, China 6, Tim Kaine 5, Chrysler 5, Massachusetts 4, Washington 4, U.s. 3, Noaa 3, Barack Obama 3, Ryan 2, Ha Ha 2, Craig 2, Chris Christie 2, Brown 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  Current    The War Room With Jennifer Granholm    News/Business.   
   (2012)  (CC) (Stereo)  

    October 30, 2012
    9:00 - 10:00pm PDT  

9:00pm
climate change doubters, deniers. green peace has done a in 2010 and found out who's funding all this. these people were not well thrown known then. you know them now the koch brothers. they have spent $25 million influencing and putting reports out there saying you know what, climate change, that real, maybe it's not and pour it through a lot of those so-called think tanks which runs a whole website devoted to climate denial. it's not an accident. those guys are in the oil and gas business. if you go to do something about climate change, they think you're going to affect my profits, i'd rather have the planet meltdown! they spent all that money. they spent money lobbying. $37.9 million between 2006 and 2009. now as you all know, koch brothers are now spending a ton
9:01pm
more money in politics to try and make sure we don't talk about climate change. they've been dropping the elbow on us for a long time. hurricane sandy came around and dropped the elbow on them and so the koch brothers and all those climate change deniers, you can buy those research and think tanks and buy the politicians but what you cannot buy is reality, and that's what hit us this week unfortunately because of your actions. now we've got a whole 'nother hour of the "young turks" coming up for you so stay right here.
9:02pm
9:03pm
>> the tree is uprooted. >> we all started panicking. then the water started to come in. >> rescues started happening and these trucks started coming in. i guess we're seeing more people stepping out of this national guard truck. and people who have been rescued. >> some of the area's best known board walks have been wrecked destroyed. >> looking at more de station. we have a good look here at what's taken place on the jersey shore. >> the best way of traversing the roadways right now. >> sharks swimming in the water around their homes! they weren't about to leave their homes at that point. >> cenk: well, there's much more devastation throughout the area. 8.2 million homes without electricity including my dad in jersey who called me to say damn
9:04pm
it, i'm missing your show! i said dad believe me, that's the least of people's problems, i appreciate that you care. so now what is president obama going to do about all of this? he stepped up to the plate talking to the red cross. >> i want you to cut through red tape. cut through bureaucracy. there's no excuse for inaction at this point. i want every agency to go forward. >> cenk: that's what he should be saying. come on, in the middle of the emergencies, wouldn't any president say the same thing? kind of what romney said about osama bin laden. wouldn't any president get him except that romney had said i wouldn't move heaven and earth. in this case, would you believe it if i told you that romney said that he doesn't think we should even have a fema at the federal level? well you don't have to worry about believing me or not believing me because you can watch it yourself. >> fema is go to run out of money. some people say do it on a case-by-case basis. some people are saying maybe we're learning a lesson that the
9:05pm
states should take on the role. >> romney: absolutely. every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it to the states, that's the right direction. if you can send it back to the private sector, that's even better. >> cenk: that is mental! i can't believe he said that! so we shouldn't have fema at the federal level. what would be doing right now hoping chris christie gets it it right in new jersey? but the federal government wouldn't do anything? and then forget the state and local government. are you kidding me? privatize it? how insane is that? so if you're poor and you couldn't afford whatever rates that romney's friends were going to charge you after he privatized it, sad day for you? ha ha, you get stuck in that? that's a disastrous idea! this is about the core role of the government. are we here for each other in times like this or do we just leave each other to fend for ourselves.
9:06pm
apparently romney clearly says during this election cycle during these primary debates they had among the republicans says fend for yourselves, i'm going to make a buck off of it. he was asked about that numerous times today on the campaign trail. he just wouldn't answer. watch. >> cenk: well, that was wonderfully awkward. those are simple questions. answer the question. finally, how incompetent is your campaign? you didn't think they would ask you a question about fema today after you just said during the primaries you would get rid of fema on the federal level? you don't have an answer for that? these guys are not very good at this! now, if you think oh, well, look that's just theory and
9:07pm
republican ideology. they're not going to act on it. they already have. in the 2013 budget, the house republicans voted to cut fema by $183 million. if you think that's bad in the 2011 budget, they tried to cut fema by $s 1.2 billion -- by $1.2 billion that's a 21% cut to noaa, the national oceanic atmospheric administration. we couldn't tell where storms were going to hit, we would be hamstrung in that area. who cares, cut, cut cut. we don't believe in the government. why are we putting you in charge if you don't believe in the government? luckily, the democrats defeated it so that $1.2 billion was not cut. what happens in the next time around? it depends. how many democrats are there? how many republicans? don't get me wrong not like you should trust the democrats. in president obama's proposed budget, they cut fema by 3%. that's a $453 million cut
9:08pm
afterall. look, as progressives, we're constantly stuck in that situation. well our so-called progressive president and anybody who watches "the young turks" knows i don't think that president obama's the end all be all in progressives actually cuts fema. i don't want you to cut fema. look at all of the climate change and the extreme weather events going on. i don't want you to cut it but he cuts it. what's our choices? you think the republicans are better? of course not! they're ten times worse. so look at ryan's proposal. what does he do? he would cut 14.6% and he would cut noaa's satellite program by $250 million. and if you think ryan's proposal is bad wait until you get a load of romney's proposal. in order for romney's budget to work, he would cut nondefense entitlement spending which is where fema is by 40%! so unfortunately, this is exactly where we are.
9:09pm
stuck between a rock and a hard place, between the guy who would cut us 3% and the guy who would cut it 40%. when you have those choices well it's clear. now, by the way president obama in this case has done a terrific job. when we had bill clinton in charge fema strengthened, terrific job. you have to call it as it is. you don't call it -- you don't call it balanced when it's not balanced. everybody remembers what happened under hurricane katrina under george w. bush, it was an absolute disaster because the guys don't believe in government. so when you put them in charge of government, they do a horrible job. that shouldn't be surprising. now, romney and ryan say oh, no, it's okay. even if we're going to cut it by 40%, a romney-ryan administration will always ensure that disaster funding is there for those in need. period. now, isn't that great? that's just basically the same old romney-ryan lie. i'm going to cut it by 40% but it will be exactly the same. no it won't! you'll cut it by 40%. it will be a disaster,
9:10pm
literally! and then we turn to noaa's analysis in 2011 of what the cuts would do. they say without data from the satellite closest to the end of its shelf life, the accuracy of its forecasts for major storms like blizzards and hurricanes would be decreased by approximately 50%. and that's not just hey i can't tell what the weather's going to be like or i can't exactly tell where the storm's going to hit. it has ramifications. not only for people's lives and their health and well-being but also financial ramifications. for every mile of evacuation, we spend a million dollars. so if we're off by 50% we may spend hundreds of millions of dollars we don't have to spend. that's knuckleheaded conservative thinking. i'm going to cut that. oh damn, so much more money. that's the problem. if you don't want to run government, then don't run for government. get out of the way! now, finally amazing moment when danny golden who is a nasa administrator was in front of
9:11pm
congress and a g.o.p. congressman asked him "why are we building meteorological satellites when we have the weather channel"? you moron! where do you think we get the reports for the weather channel? these people are sometimes neanderthals! and then they sit here and tell us that they should be in charge when they say we're going to cut disaster relief. we might get rid of fema on the federal level altogether. we don't even know how the satellite system works. we don't know a damn thing about science. put us in charge. to which i say hell, no! all right. now, when we come back, one of the guys who was in charge was michael brown. you remember brownie, heck of a job. he will be on the show. he's got a unique criticism of the president. he says that president obama reacted too fast to this storm. that should be a very interesting conversation when we come back.
9:12pm
>> brownie you're doing a heck of a job. the fema director is working 24/7. [ applause ] >> cenk: we've got plenty more elbows for the last one came from. we have another one end at the of the show. try to guess this ononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononon
9:13pm
9:14pm
9:15pm
>> cenk: we're getting our first look inside the tunnels under the east tunnels. the lirr. it has been flooded and as you can see it is a disaster area. literally. and how they even get the trains rolling again or how soon they will is, of course, very much an open question. and there is just a whole host of problems in new york. and unfortunately up to as many as 18 deaths in new york city alone already. now, we go to the issue of how this disaster was handled. well, chris christie actually gave high praise to president
9:16pm
obama on this issue. >> the president is great. i spoke to him three times yesterday. he called me for the last time at midnight last night asked me what i needed. i said if you could expedite the major disaster declaration. he signed it for new jersey. the president has been all over this. he deserves great credit. he gave me his number at the white house told me to call him if i needed anything and he absolutely means it. >> cenk: now that's the governor of new jersey who is busy today of course, running around new jersey trying to make sure everybody is all right and it is a rare moment where a republican praises president obama. now, one republican who did not was the former fema director under george w. bush, michael brown. if you don't remember who michael brown is, you might remember this moment during the bush administration. >> there will be plenty of opportunities to help later on. right now, the immediate concern is to save lives and get food and medicine to people so we can stabilize the situation. i want to thank you all and brownie, you're doing a heck of
9:17pm
a job. the fema director is working 24/7. [ applause ] >> cenk: well, that became a big dispute later. michael brown spoke out today and said that president obama was moving too fast during this storm which is fascinating. and he then went on to clarify he said in the context of the election, i simply said he should have waited, the storm was still forming people were debating whether it was going to be as bad as expected or not and i noted that the president should have let the governors and mayors deal with the storm until it got closer to hitting the coastal areas along the washington, d.c., new york city corridor. well, we wanted to invite michael brown on the show here to have him explain that comment a little bit more. he's joining us now. he's cohost with david sirota in denver the cohost a.m. 630khow in denver, the station they're on. michael brown, thank you so much for joining us. >> my pleasure. how are you guys doing? >> cenk: great. so michael of course, everybody is wondering about
9:18pm
this comment. what in the world do you mean that president obama moved too fast in this case to deal with this storm? >> there's really no explaining because -- the article -- the reporter calls -- talk about the politics of disaster. c k: cha tst' shame. ironically, we're having trouble with his communication. now by the way of course, there was a giant miscommunication between michael brown and george w. bush. that's why i say ironically because after george bush said he was doing a heck of a job then he, of course, went on to blame michael brown later for all of the problems. then brown wrote a book in which he said president bush was "didn't get it. he failed to comprehend the magnitude of the storm and that the president tended to act like a well-meaning fraternity boy."
9:19pm
those are some harsh words for president bush. he's back on the line with us. he was explaining his words about president obama. again, michael brown. tell us your version of events there. >> so here is the question that was posed to me. in terms of disaster, what are the politics that go on behind the scenes? and i described to the reporter that what the president needed to do was to -- before he made his of press conference, that he should have waited until later in the day because he would have gotten more political mileage out of it. it had nothing to do with the response. it had to do with the politics of the situation. so actually what i'm telling the president is you could have gotten more mileage if you let the governors if you let christie and o'donnell cuomo bloomberg and all of them have all of the time up to the point the storm is getting really serious and then go do the press conference, talk about what fema is going to do. you would have gotten more mileage out of it, mr. obama.
9:20pm
>> cenk: michael that's a really interesting point. how much does politics play into the reactions of an administration during a disaster like this? >> here's what i explain to everybody. think about this. every disaster always involves the following... at least two u.s. senators, at least one congressman and at least the president of the united states. so for people to believe that politics doesn't play a role or at least politics isn't on the minds of politicians is just being naive. >> cenk: so if that's the case, why did the bush administration screw it up so badly. do you also acknowledge -- you were the former fema director at the time, d'oh but do you acknowledge there were mistakes made and if so, you know, why get something so monumentally important politically let alone policywise wrong in that case? >> well, because i think there were political miscalculations during katrina and there were
9:21pm
actual -- how would i describe it? there were actual leadership problems during katrina. remember, a president can't evacuate a city. only a governor or a mayor can do that. i think the failure of mayor to evacuate the city -- he admitted this. the failure to do it earlier is what caused the big problems and politically -- i'm give you an example of a political mistake bush made that everybody will recognize. remember the iconic photograph of the president looking down on new orleans from air force i? >> cenk: yep. >> here was the political mistake. that photograph would have been totally acceptable to everybody if he had simply landed the plane in baton rouge. and the failure to do so was a huge political mistake. for me, it was a political mistake because i needed him to send a signal to the cabinet that said whatever brown needs in katrina you give it to him.
9:22pm
huge political mistake. >> cenk: were the other cabinet members not cooperative? was that a problem when you were dealing with katrina? >> we found out later, there were huge arguments going on in d.c. between chernoff and donald rumsfeld about how much equipment should i be able to use. how much equipment should i be able to get. think about this, if that debate in washington lasts even six hours, that means it magnifies and becomes a 12, 15, 24-hour delay. absolutely there were political problems in that response. >> cenk: why in the world did rumsfeld care about this? what did very to do with what was happening in new orleans at the time some of. >> this is a misconception that many people have. fema doesn't own helicopters. fema doesn't own fire trucks or anything. all fema really has is a checkbook. so what rumsfeld and i would say this right now to panetta if craig fugate, the current
9:23pm
director of fema says i need x number of helicopters to help in search and rescue, panetta's answer should be how soon do you want them, how many do you need? all fema can say to the department of defense we'll reimburse you for that. >> cenk: michael, as you i hear you say that, that has to be the most obvious thing in the world. i can't imagine any of administration disagreeing except it turns out you guys did under the bush administration. does that go to show that nobody was in charge? there was wide disarray here. how can you have rumsfeld saying no or even having a debate for six hours on whether to send helicopters during hurricane katrina? isn't that very damming of how george bush ran that white house? >> it is damming as i have said, since the day i left. actually, since before then. if you went back and you found there is a march 2003 memo from me to tom ridge.
9:24pm
gave the same memo later to michael chertoff that said if you keep fema this position and you keep this command structure that currently exists, fema will fall. it is exactly what we did. you now have this huge bureaucracy that fema is a part of. now, that said, congress has tried to correct it. i think congress learned from katrina that maybe they made a mistake and so the commanding and control structure has been revamped by congress and i think that craig understands that and i think craig will make a success of it. >> cenk: michael as you said earlier, president obama seems to have done a good job in responding to this disaster. and we know that president clinton had done a good job with fema earlier. so it is a coincidence that whenever we have democrats in charge, we seem to do a pretty good job in fema. when we have a republican in charge, not so much. >> well, i don't know if it is a coincidence or really more of look post-9-11 everybody
9:25pm
democrats and republicans alike felt compelled to do something. so what do you do in washington when you feel compelled to do something? you start rearranging the organizational chart. that's what they did. it truly didn't accomplish anything. you had under james a good friend of mine, i think he's a great guy. james lee had -- i don't want to get too far in the weeds but he had really developed this idea that fema was the arms broker. that if fema said we need x y z, the rest of the cabinet knew it and made it happen. but under bush and post-9-11 there was this huge reorganization and it left them in disarray. it is a fact of life. it is not partisan because everything that occurred post-9-11 was done by both republicans and democrats. >> cenk: now but at the same time michael you've got a party who ideologically does not believe in this stuff. i'm not just flippantly saying
9:26pm
stuff. here was governor romney during the primary debate saying he doesn't believe we should have fema at the federal level. so i'm a little afraid of what happens if mitt romney gets in charge. as a former fema director, are you afraid? >> here's what will happen. mitt romney will get in charge and he'll realize despite that rhetoric, you still need a fema. here's why you need a fema. because there will be -- look, every disaster is catastrophic to the person that's involved in it. but if we have a true catastrophic disaster where you have literally hundreds of thousands if not millions of people homeless, where you have half or a third of the country without power and i don't mean for five days or ten days but i'm talking about months on end you're going to have to have a federal coordinating agency. that will be fema. but here's the philosophical difference. i think in the meantime, we would be better -- we would be more efficient and we would be more effective if we strengthened local and state
9:27pm
responders. local rescue teams local fire departments, if we strengthen them, that's a more efficient use of tax dollars. >> cenk: michael there is no such republican plan. the only plan that exists is to cut fema. there is no plan to add money to the local levels. >> i'm not here to defend that. or argue it. i'm here to tell you from -- yeah, i'm a republican and yes i'm a partisan. here's how it really works and what we really ought to be doing. >> cenk: michael one last thing. if you're a voter throughout and you're worried about these disasters and they seem to be happening at a quicker pace now and one guy seems to have handled things fairly well and says i'm going to continue to do that and another guy says i don't really even believe in fema at the federal. >> eliot: and i don't have a plan to make anything better at the state or local. >> eliot: so good luck to you. as a voter which guy would you go for? >> look, i don't think that romney's rhetoric really is that. he may think that we need more
9:28pm
efficiently or spend their money and i think we should. i think to the extent we can do that at the state and local level, we're all better off. the reality is going to hit all of us. that we're borrowing 40 cents of every dollar. we've got to do something to make things better. financially in this country. that's the reality. the republicans and democrats are going to face. it then becomes a question of how do you do that. >> cenk: michael brown former fema direct o under george w. bush. thank you so much for joining us. we really do appreciate it. >> thank you guys. good conversation. >> cenk: thank you. and when we come back, well, obviously i'm not buying what the republicans are selling and i'm about to show you why you shouldn't be buying it either. i'm going to show you lie after lie after lie that's been going on in this campaign. it is not even! they lie so much more. we'll show you the evidence when we return. >> who will do more for the auto industry? not barack obama.
9:29pm
obama took g.m. and chrysler into bankruptcy and sold chrysler to italians who will build jeeps in china.
9:30pm
9:31pm
9:32pm
chct republicans are liars. now i don't say that flippantly or say it because i'm partisan. anybody who watches the show knows i've got a lot of issues with democrats. i say it because it's true. it is demonstrably true.
9:33pm
now a lot of the rest of the media says well, no, no, no, if i say the republicans lie from time to time, i have to say the democrats lie from time to time and i have to call it even but it ain't even! so mitt romney is in a lot of trouble in states like ohio because he wanted to let detroit go bankrupt and there is a lot of jobs that were affected in ohio. and those folks might not have jobs if we went in mitt romney's direction. s what's he going to do before the election? he's going to have highly deceptive ads running in ohio like this one about chrysler. >> announcer: barack obama said he saved the auto industry but for who? ohio or china? under president obama g.m. cut 15,000 americans jobs. but they're planning to double the number of cars built in china which means 15,000 more jobs for china and now comes word that chrysler plans to start making jeeps in china. >> cenk: wait a minute! president obama saved all of those jobs in ohio and michigan
9:34pm
and all across the country! they're turning the truth on its held. oh, jeep is not making -- they're make the jeeps in china. don't take my word for it. go to jeep. they said... let's set the record state. jeep has no intention of shifting production of its jeep models out of north america to china. in other words romney is lying! now, they also started running an ad they used to run earlier against obama which is not true. they didn't announce it to the media because they didn't want to have everybody talk about here they go again with their lies. >> announcer: if you want to know president obama's second term agenda, look at his first. gutted the work requirement for welfare. doubled the number of able-bodied adults without children on food stamps, record unemployment. more women in poverty than ever
9:35pm
before. we may have made it through president obama's first term. it's our children who can't afford a second. >> cenk: that's fascinating because, in fact, president obama did not take away the work standard. in fact, he was actually agreeing to a request by republican governors to tighten the working standards for welfare to work. that's an absolute lie! but they don't care. they do it all the time. in fact, everybody's gotten so used to it but they think well, that's just the way things are. mitt romney, for example says that president obama doubled the deficit. not remotely true. he was headed at $1.2 trillion deficit, now a $1.1 trillion deficit. it is less. it is a god damn lie! but the rest of the media goes i can't do that. i can't tell the american people reality. here's what i'm worried about. i'm worried about that we're in an iraq kind of situation here. what do i mean by that? before the iraq war the republicans kept insinuating oh, my, saddam hussein iraq,
9:36pm
weapons of mass destruction 9-11 iraq. about 70% of the country thought that saddam hussein was personally responsible for 9-11. if i thought that, i would want to invade iraq, too but he wasn't! he wasn't! so the american people were deceived and who helped to deceive them? the american media by calling everything neutral. while the republicans say this and the democrats say that. and now we have one side that lies all the time. systematically and what does the media do? they say this and other guys say that. no. it's not true. the republicans lie professionally. they do it all the time. they do it on purpose! as will you sit there and you wonder my god, how could this race be 50/50 when you look at the national popular vote? it is because the american people never got the memo because the media didn't give it to them. an example of what's hannan --
9:37pm
happening in virginia. tim kane and then karl rove's group is running this ad against tim kaine. >> tim kaine left virginia for washington. was a cheerleader for massive spending. but it actually wasted money studying ants in africa. >> the stimulus is critically important. >> really? how? to upgrade politicians offices? >> these are investments that will put people to work right away. >> but it failed miserably. tell tim kaine for real job growth, stop backing reckless spending. >> cenk: action w, tim kaine and his request for stimulus. stimulus? definitely doesn't work. that was a failure right? until you find out the reality. you know who the ceo and president of crossroads gps is? it is not karl rove. it is a guy named steven long. you know what he used to do? he was a chief lobbyist for the chamber of commerce.
9:38pm
guess what the chamber of commerce wanted to lobby for? the stimulus bill. he begged for it! he said please, please! give us more stimulus. in fact, the u.s. chamber of commerce calls on the senate to approve without delay h. r. 1 the american recovery and reinvestment act of 2009. that is the guy running those ads against tim kaine who earlier said without delay we must have the stimulus money. and yet with a straight face, he turns around and runs the the ads against democrats. why? because they're professional liars. that's what they do for a living. get a load of what's happening in california. prop 32. it sounds like oh, my god we've these corporations taking this money and we've got to stop the corporations taking payroll from their employees using it for political purposes. >> if you have a telephoto lens, maybe you would see deals cut in shadows and back rooms with
9:39pm
contributions government unions control politicians. it is killing california. 11% unemployment. high taxes. lavish pensions. billions in waste. $50 billion a year on education but among the worst performing schools. cut the money tie between special interest lobbyists and career politicians. put people back in charge. yes on prop 32. >> cenk: it sounds like it is anti-corporation right? no funded by the corporations. in fact, it is pushed by this group called the lincoln club of orange county who also pushed citizens united. you know why they're doing this? and actually it doesn't affect corporations at all. they use their general treasury. what it does is it affects unions. the real purpose is to cripple labor unions politically. according to the "l.a. times". they do deception for a living. they do it professionally. so they have something that helps corporations. they run ads saying oh, can you believe those naughty
9:40pm
corporations? let's go get those guys. they know what they're doing. and the problem is the media knows what they're doing too but they won't call them out on it because oh, my god they might call you bias if you actually report the news! now our political correspondent michael shure joins us. michael, you know, this seems like it is an uneven playing field. in an environment like this, if the democrats go with truth and they don't always tell the truth. i call them out when they don't. they certainly tell a hell a lot more than the republicans. how are they supposed to win? >> they're supposed to win by reacting to it. mitt romney right now realizes the importance of ohio to this is campaign. we've talked about it. we've talked about how obama can win without ohio. romney cannot really win without ohio. so what does he do, cenk? he goes in there like a lawyer making his final arguments before a jury. you know this. you're a lawyer. i don't know if you stood in a courtroom but you just throw it all out there.
9:41pm
let the jury decide at the end. it doesn't matter the lies. it doesn't matter the crap you give them. you have to tell your story. this is a desperation move. listen with mitt romney, he's tried to tell every truth he can tell or lie he can tell about his position on the auto industry. nobody's buying it. right now he's going in at the end and just saying lies, lies, lies and take it for what you will. >> cenk: look, first of all to answer your question, i did stand in a:00 all the way in the back as an intern for the prosecutor's office. okay. couple of summers. but then on to the main substance of this. look, the republicans lie before an election because they think you won't be able to do fact checking in enough time. they won't fact check us to the degree that they should. so logically the democrats should do the same thing but they don't. >> you know, cenk, they spent a lot of time rebutting this and reacting. >> cenk: that's playing defense. >> but you have to play defense too, and you have to play it
9:42pm
quickly. you have to respond quickly. >> cenk: that's what i'm talking about though. >> right now, barack obama and even you have said it. we've talked about off and on the air before. that you're surprised how well and how quickly they're defending. yesterday as soon as this jeep ad came back on the air obama and the campaign -- last week came right back out there and responded. >> cenk: i'm not blaming for that. i think they did a good job of responding. one side constantly plays offense. they sucker punch you in the kidneys. the other guy doesn't do it, it is an uneven field. my point michael look, on a microlevel, you're right. this very to fight back. play defense and then play offense with the truth. not lie. >> we saved g.m. we saved chrysler. the two biggest turnarounds ever. we're running against you mr. romney. are you a turnaround expert and you are saying that these turnarounds were garbage so that is their offense. they've been saying it.
9:43pm
>> cenk: i know. if one side has the weapon of just truth and the other of truth saying the economy is sluggish et cetera and a whole arsenal of lies, uneven playing field. my point michael is if i were the democrats, i would charge at the media so much harder and say you're not doing your job! you're being completely and utterly unfair to us, to progressives, to liberalal you're n nligent.. you' u' incompetent! you should show the facts on a daily basis. if you don't do that, you're biased. they're lying at it whereas we would be telling the truth. >> you're right. there's nothing you've said that wasn't true but you also have to say, what i said already which is the democrats do play their version of offense. it is just very different and right now, you're looking at a desperate campaign. they're coming back withing this radio ad about welfare. the president obama wants to end welfare to work. come on. that's garbage but it is late in the game and that's what they're doing. they're desperate in ohio.
9:44pm
on prop 32, it is down 1-0 because i voted against it already. >> cenk: is that right? early voting. thank you, michael. we appreciate it. all right. now when we come back, how would i do it? we put together a tyt ad i would run against mitt romney. i think you might enjoy it. >> you're really raising taxes on a job creator. >> stop this war on job creators. >> they're the same republicans with the same plan. they win. the rest of us lose. can we afford to make this mistake again?
9:45pm
9:46pm
9:47pm
>> cenk: during the second presidential debate, a woman named susan asked the best question out of all of the questions asked in all of the debates. she asked mitt romney, hey, how are you different than george w. bush? in fact, remember this? >> i do attribute much of america's economic and international problems to the failings and missteps of the bush administration. since both you and president bush are republicans i fear a return to the policies of those years should you win this election. what is the biggest difference between you and george w. bush. >> cenk: romney wound up having a terrible, long answer for that about latin america and the arab countries and how we don't need them as much anymore. it was incoherent, rambling. why? because he doesn't have a good
9:48pm
answer for that. in fact, i wish the democrats would ask that question over and over again. i wish the media would ask that question over and over again. wait a minute. you guys have the same proposals! you want to do tax cuts for the rich. bush wanted to do tax cuts for the rich. you're doing a more bellicose foreign policy in the middle east. that's exactly what george w. bush did. everything is the same. but even more right wing, in fact if i was obama campaign, i would run an ad like this. >> is mitt romney a newser? as governor of massachusetts the state was 47th in job creation. there are only 50 states. >> i worked at one company bain for 25 years. >> cenk: he drove companies into bankruptcy. >> harvest them at a significant profit. >> cenk: thousands lost jobs. it is not that mitt romney doesn't care about winning. it is that he isn't on your team. >> romney: corporations are people, my friend.
9:49pm
>> cenk: like this guy. what he really cares about are his real friends. under bush, stock prices of favored companies went up while jobs for us went down. mitt romney, what is the difference between you and george w. bush? >> if you raise taxes on the so-called rich, you're really raising taxes on the job create os. >> stop this war on job creators. >> they're the same republicans with the same plan. they win. the rest of us lose. can we afford to make this mistake again? >> cenk: now look, ignore the comical voice-over book by a questionable host but look at the content there and the theme that we're pushing. look these guys do have the same policies. so why would we expect different results when bush was in charge? did we get better wages for us? our wages went down. did we get more jobs? no. we lost eight million jobs during the recession. romney said he would do the exact same policies again. how are you going to help
9:50pm
balance the budget, for example? he says well, if we cut taxes it will lead to more federal revenue. but we cut taxes for the rich for ten straight years. it didn't work. in fact, now 12 straight years. and it still hasn't gotten us more federal revenue. you're not going to balance the budget. you're going to destroy the economy again. and then the first part of the ad, what is your basis for saying that you're good with jobs? when you had your one chance at running a government, that was the government of massachusetts and you were 47th in job creation! my god! how bad could you be? you have no credentials! to be fair to president obama he did mention that at one point and did a fun little trick. see if you can pick it up. >> obama: governor romney talks about small businesses but governor, when you were in massachusetts, small businesses development ranked about 48th i think out of 46 in massachusetts because the policies you're promoting don't
9:51pm
help small businesses. >> cenk: i don't know if he did it on purpose but i loved that. he accidentally said he ranked 48th and then all of the fact checkers said no, actually he was third from the bottom not second. how about bain? you didn't create jobs. that wasn't your job. as we showed you in the commercial, he thought his job was to harvest profits out of the companies and if he left them to die well so be it. in fact, he did leave a lot of them to die. this guy has no credentials on job creation. and his proposals are identical to bush's and maybe even worse because they even further right wing. that's the reality. that's what i think president obama should have focused on this entire time. he did a pretty decent job with this campaign but i would have hit hard on those categories but to me, even more important is the media has to call it as it is. that's the theme i've been telling you about all show long. now, it doesn't mean you have to have my ideas and my ideology or my opinion, i don't care about
9:52pm
your opinion but you have to show the facts. the facts are that romney's policies are identical to bush's in those regards. now, do we want to make that mistake again? do we want to re-elect people like george w. bush and dick cheney? if you do, you vote for romney. now, that's fair. she's reality. all right. now when we come back, we'll drop the elbow of the day. tough one to guess but it is a fun one. try to guess it at text
9:53pm
9:54pm
♪ just put a little bit of yourself ♪ ♪ in everything you do ♪ [ female announcer ] add your own ingredients to hamburger helper for a fresh take on a quick, delicious meal. it's one box with hundreds of possibilities. [ woman ] ring. ring. progresso. in what world do potatoes, bacon and cheese add up to 100 calories? your world. ♪ ♪ [ whispers ] real bacon... creamy cheese... 100 calories... [ chef ] ma'am [ male announcer ] progresso. you gotta taste this soup.
9:55pm
[ male announcer ] red lobster's hitting the streets to tell real people about our new 15 under $15 menu. oh my goodness! oh my gosh this looks amazing! that's a good deal! [ man ] wow! it is so good! [ male announcer ] our new maine stays! 15 entrees under $15 seafood, chicken and more! oo! the tilapia with roasted vegetables! i'm actually looking at the wood grilled chicken with portobello wine sauce. you so fascinated by the prices, you keep rambling on! i know! -that pork chop was great! -no more fast food friday's! so we gotta go! we're going to go to red lobster. yep. [ male announcer ] try our 15 under $15 menu and sea food differently!
9:56pm
>> cenk: saudi arabia has an unbelievable amount of oil as everybody knows. there is a fifth of the world's oil reserves. they do 12% of the world crude production. they do 12 million barrels of oil a day! and these are the guys, of course, that we keep saying we need to be independent from. meanwhile, we've got two presidential candidates competing over who can drill more here. i'm going to drill for oil more. no i'm going to drill for oil more. ironically, as we're doing that, the govern of saudi arabia is turning around on the same issue. one of the most influential members of the royal family, prince turkey alal-faisal, he ran the intelligence services for 20 years. he was an ambassador to the u.k. he has come out and said this...
9:57pm
you know what that means? he's saying that he wants to go to 100% renewable energy in saudi arabia! and then he says okay, obviously we're going to sell the oil to the rest of the world. while we go to renewable energy. meanwhile, here in the u.s., while we should be leaning toward renewable energy, we've got two guys competing over who can drill for more oil. the world is turned upside down. in this way, saudi arabia playing the biggest joke on the world on us and dropping the elbow straight on top of our heads. saying ha ha! we got you hooked on our oil! meanwhile, we're going to renewable energy. unbelievable! we gotta turn around before it's too late. all right. everybody, thank you so much for watching us
9:58pm
9:59pm

Terms of Use (10 Mar 2001)